An object is an item you can place physically into the game space. It can be contrasted with Rooms where you mark out the territory, and Staff such as Guards or Doctors which are placed in a similar manner to objects but are able to move, either controlled by the player or the AI. Each object has its own toughness (HP) which determinates how hard it is to destroy it.
To place an object, simply open the object menu and select one. Then left click on the tile/area where you want it to be placed. When placing an Object you can rotate it by pressing the R Key or the Middle Mouse Button.
Objects are usually placed in rooms - including the outdoor Yard - some objects are required for a zoned room to be operational. E.g. for a Holding Cell to be occupied the player must place a Bench and a Toilet, with other items being optional. In the same example a Bed is not required in a Holding Cell but can be placed and inmates will use it.
- objects can normally be dismantled by a Workman and moved to storage for placement elsewhere later. An object can only be placed if you have enough money to pay for it, or if you have one in storage.
- double clicked if misplaced to be moved to another location
- be interacted with (as said before), including:
- be searched
- damaged and/or destroyed:
- Objects can be damaged by violence from rioting prisoners and by fire. Use sprinklers and firemen to prevent the latter one. Once damaged, objects may be repaired by workmen either by manually advising them to do or automatically, if the current bank balance allows.
- used by prisoners (and you, in Escape Mode) to stash contraband
- sold (only for produced ones, example: Logs, License Plates
- cloned using Clone tool
Objects can also be dumped. When given the order, a Workman will turn the object into a Bag of Garbage and take it to the Garbage zone for a Supply Truck to pickup and take away. You can use bulldoze option from Foundations menu to dumb everything in a selected area but be aware as this can be only used indoors and removes foundation as well!
When opening the Objects menu, only the most common objects will be displayed. If you are looking at a room, the objects required or commonly used in that room will be added (if not shown before) and highlighted. This may require moving the mouse cursor around.
- The "+" button on the bottom right of Objects' window can be used to show all objects at once.
- The text search field at the bottom can be used to filter the displayed objects by name, i.e. to show any object you are looking for.
- Filter option to the bottom left can be used to sort objects alphabetically, by objects price (ascending and descending), quantity of how many of each you have, by room type and by most used.
Sometimes (especially after the game update) you may notice that some of the objects (and other elements in the game) show up with a star icon next to them. This icon is displayed next to the newly added content to the game, including objects. To get rid of it - simply hover on the objects or star icon.
The look of Objects Menu in early Alpha version (Alpha 8)