main.dat is the data archive that contains resources used by the game, including sprites, dialog text, and lua scripts used to control actor actions. This archive is a .rar archive, which can be unpacked using standard tools (WinRAR or 7-zip for Windows, UnRarX for Mac OS X, etc). main.dat does not contain sounds, which can be found in the sounds.dat archive.
For information about the internal structure of many files found in main.dat, see File Format.
The location of main.dat varies with platform. These are summarized in the table below.
|Windows (stand-alone)||main.dat is in the same directory as the Prison Architect program|
|Windows (Steam)||main.dat is in the Prison Architect folder under steam/steamapps/common/Prison Architect|
|Mac OS X (stand-alone)||main.dat is contained in the Prison Architect.app application bundle (there is no guaranteed install location, though Prison Architect should be in either /Applications/ or ~/Applications/ for most installations). Right-click on Prison Architect.app, select the option "Show Package Contents", and navigate to Contents/Resources/.|
|Mac OS X (Steam)||main.dat is contained in the Prison Architect.app application bundle, which can be found in ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/. Follow the directions for the stand-alone version, above.|
|Linux (stand-alone)||??? [verification needed]|
|Linux (Steam)||main.dat is in ~/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Prison Architect|
- advisers - Contains the images used to represent the ingame advisers.
- arrow.png - An arrow.
- biographies.txt - Defines possible names and crimes for prisoners.
- bluescreen.png - A background image.
- campaign - Contains the files used for specific campaigns in the game.
- clipboard.png - The report background.
- codex.png - The main menu background.
- complaints.png - Icons for prisoners' complaints
- complaints.spritebank - Defines where in the spritesheet for complaints.png each image should be taken from.
- dialogs - Contains text files describing the locations of UI elements
- digital_clock.png - The digital clock.
- dsp-effects.txt - Some sound effects parameters.
- effects.bmp - Some effects graphics used in the game (e.g. shoutings, flags).
- events.txt - Defines the events and their conditions.
- flags.png - flag sprites for the language selection.
- flags.spritebank - flag sprite data.
- fonts - Contains files for in-game fonts
- grants.lua - Defines the grants available to the user.
- interface.spritebank - Defines where in the spritesheet for ui.png each image should be taken from.
- introversionlogo.png - Introversion Software's logo.
- language - Contains translations of the game.
- base-language.txt - Defines the translation for each element in the game. The base is in English.
- tablets.txt - Some texts that are different for the tablet version of the game than in the PC version.
- letter.png - CEO's letter, without text.
- letterblank.png - CEO's letter, with text. [verification needed]
- loading.png - A "Loading..." graphic
- lua_function_list.txt - Documentation for some of the Lua functions available for modding the game.
- materials.txt - Defines all the objects, materials, rooms and staff in the game, as well as their properties.
- mugshot-bg.png - Background for the images in the prisoners' biographies
- mugshots - Contains mugshots of players who have purchased the "Digital-Immorto-Criminalise Your Face" package
- names_in_game.txt - List of the prisoners created for people having purchased the "Name in the Game" or "Face in the Game" packages of Prison Architect.
- needs.txt - Defines the prisoners' needs and the ways to relief them.
- needs_female.txt - Defines the female prisoners' needs and the ways to relief them.
- objects.png - The spritesheet used for objects.
- objects.spritebank - Defines where in the spritesheet for objects.png each image should be taken from.
- orgchart_blank.png - Some background.
- orgchart.png - Some background.
- PAlogo.png - The Prison Architect logo.
- paper.png - Some background.
- papersheet.bmp - Some background.
- people.png - The spritesheet used for items, contraband, staff, prisoners and vehicles.
- polaroids - Polaroids
- prefabs.txt - Defines which Quickbuild prefabs are available.
- production.txt - Defines which items are produced and consumed where.
- reform_programs.txt - Defines the programs.
- research.txt - Defines the different research options.
- screenedge.png - Some GUI element.
- shaders - Some WebGL shader codes.
- skin.png - Different shades of skin colour.
- sound.bmp - A loudspeaker symbol.
- sounds.txt - Defines all sounds that are played in the game, including music.
- special-entities.png - The spritesheet used for "Face in the Game" prisoners.
- tab.png - A tab graphic for the reports.
- target.png - A crosshair.
- tattoo1.png - The full body tattoo sprite for gang #1
- tattoo2.png - The full body tattoo sprite for gang #2
- tattoo3.png - The full body tattoo sprite for gang #3
- tileset.png - The spritesheet used for materials.
- ui.png - The spritesheet used for UI elements.
- viewcone.png - A CCTV camera's viewcone.