Normal guards are prohibited from attacking Criminally Insane inmates as they may hurt them in the process (exceptions exist). Orderly is a specially trained staff member exclusive to Psych Ward: Warden's Edition DLC whose role is to take care of Criminally Insane prisoners and do jobs that are normally done by regular guards, such as:
Unlike normal guards, orderlies do not cast suppression on inmates which makes them way better choice for CI cell blocks. They are equipped with sedative syringes and straitjackets that can be used on inmates when they misbehave. They can also heal injured prisoners and escort those seriously injured to the infirmary.
- Orderlies can't operate CCTV monitors, door servos, phone taps, etc.
- They usually ignore normal prisoners and don't participate in fights with them as well as they are not chasing them if they are escaping.
- Orderlies can not search prisoners' cells and they don't participate in Shakedowns.
- It's possible to assign orderlies to the areas of your prison and patrols via Deployment tab, the same way as regular guards.
- Orderlies will open jail doors for other staff members, like guards do.
- While orderlies are slightly stronger than Guards and can handle tasks independently, you may want a Guard presence around Criminally Insane wings to quell larger fights or disruptions.