Normal guards are prohibited from attacking Criminally Insane inmates as they may hurt them in the process (exceptions exist). Orderly is a specially trained staff member-exclusive to Psych Ward: Warden's Edition DLC whose role is to take care of Criminally Insane prisoners.
They are able to do unique as well as specific jobs that are normally done by regular guards, such as:
- opening doors for inmates and staff
- escorting Criminally Insane prisoners to their padded holding cell, padded cell or padded solitary
- orderlies can be deployed to rooms or assigned to patrols like guards, armed guards and dog handlers
- orderlies are the only staff member that can escort criminally insane to Psychiatric sessions. They will then wait at the door of the Psychiatrist office until the program is over
Unlike normal guards, orderlies do not cast suppression on inmates which makes them a better choice for Criminally Insane cell blocks. They are equipped with sedative syringes and straitjackets that can be used on inmates when they misbehave. They can also heal injured prisoners and escort those seriously injured to the infirmary.
- Orderlies can't operate CCTV monitors, door servos, phone taps, etc., nor will they do misc. guard jobs.
- They usually ignore normal prisoners and don't participate in fights with them. They will however defend themselves if attacked.
- Orderlies can not search prisoners' cells and they don't participate in shakedowns or tunnel searches.
- Idle orderlies will scatter around the prison by themselves, in rooms such as infirmary, yard, canteen or reception.