The sole creators of your prison. A Workman is a staff member who performs construction and deconstructing, and a number of other duties. Each prison starts with eight workmen.
Workmen can be dispatched to repair Objects that are damaged from the object's context menu. They will also be automatically dispatched to repair all damaged objects only if you have enough funds to repair them. Additionally, if you sack your cooks while they are preparing food, the workmen will serve the prepared food for the inmates in the canteen.
Workmen will collect building materials from delivery or storage zones, collect and bag up trash, putting it in garbage zones and will also leave items to be exported and sold in exports zones. When deconstructing, they will collect the rubble and store it in garbage zones. They can also dismantle Objects and put them in Storage so it can be used later.
If Workmen are trapped within a structure with no escape, or simply can't get somewhere to build something, the attempted build will be marked with a red X accompanied by how many tries a Workman tried to reach the area. The same scenario occurs if an area in your prison is too dangerous (such as a riot) to build anything, but will continue building once the area is deemed safe again.
Hints and Tips[edit | edit source]
- If you plan on doing a lot of construction or want the work to be completed quickly, be sure to have a larger staff of Workmen. If you are finished building for the time being or want to save money on wages, consider sacking most of your workmen and use that money for something else.
- You will always need a few workmen to do basic labour activities such as taking out the trash, unloading supply trucks, and installing the odd piece of equipment.
- It may be convenient to have a guard deployed near any place where Workmen are constructing cells, as the Guards will be needed to open jail doors to let the Workmen in the cells to finish building inside them.
- One alternative to this is having the settings of the jail doors to be locked open until the Workmen are finished building. Another alternative is to simply have jail doors be the last thing to build for a cell, as Workmen won't need to go inside the cells for that.
- As you expand your prison, it might be wise to have staff or jail doors (the latter requiring Guards to open them) on the very edges of your prison walls, as to prevent Workmen having to walk entirely around the prison to build something new. Note that this should be done with caution, as a prisoner might use those doors to escape.