Emergency units can be called out for severe emergencies that the prison staff can't handle.
- For information on the normal prison units, see Staff.
Emergency units are units that can be called out for severe emergencies that the prison staff can't handle. They can be fully controlled by the player and there is a $100 charge to call them out.
||Riot Police are heavily armored units and can take on multiple prisoners, and prisoners with weapons, with moderate ease.|
||Firemen can put out fires around your prison.|
||Paramedics will heal injured staff and prisoners and are useful on prisons which are short on doctors.|
There are currently four emergency actions that can be used to control various situations in your prison.
Lockdown is a feature in the emergency access tab. Lockdown instantly closes all open doors, and instructs guards not to open them unless they're specifically moved by the player. Prisoners with stolen keys can still open doors closed during lockdown, and prisoners without keys will able to smash and destroy doors.
Bangup will send all willing prisoners immediately back to their cells, allowing for easier control of riots.
Shakedown will immediately search all prisoners and hiding spots in your prison.
There are currently 3 Emergency Events that can occur in every game, and there is the optional feature of activating random events.
When a Prisoner with an addiction to Drugs continues using without intervention, there is a chance he might overdose and begin vomiting while incapacitated on the ground. If a Doctor is not directed to the Prisoner, there's a chance that they could die.
If the option is activated, several random events like power station or kitchen fires, workshop accidents or prisoner demands may occur.
- See Events for motre information.
- Firemen were introduced in Alpha-5. 
- Riot Police were introduced in Alpha 10.
- Paramedics were introduced in Alpha 10.
- The Emergency system is a fully implemented set of features as of Alpha 10.
- Power Stations were changed, being able to explode, causing a massive Fire in Alpha 16.
- Prisoners will riot while they are attacking snitches in Alpha 24.