Perimeter Walls were added into the game in Alpha 13 as part of the new escape system that prisoners received.
The primary use of the Perimeter Wall is to significantly slow down prisoners from escaping, however it will not stop them from digging through.
The player must develop a strategy to discover and fill any Escape Tunnels that are found before a prisoner can manage to escape. Employing the use of Shakedowns every night will work, but it can piss off your prisoners, so use it sparingly.
The obvious benefit to a Perimeter Wall is it's ability to slow down prisoners from digging tunnels through it. However, there are some cons to the Perimeter Wall:
- It is the most expensive Material in the game costing $150 per square, plus the additional concrete for the paving stone that surrounds it which is $10 per square.
- The Perimeter Wall takes much longer to construct out of any other material.
- The Perimeter Wall is constructed into the ground, and is higher then normal walls, therefore Utilities cannot be constructed through them and any existing cables or pipes on a square will be removed if a Perimeter Wall gets built over them.
Tips / Tricks
- When you're about to build a Perimeter Wall, pause the game and lay down the wall. When finished, begin canceling out the jobs to construct the concrete paving stone using right click. Doing this will save you a lot of money by preventing the concrete paving stone from being purchased. Once done, unpause the game.
- Only build a Perimeter Wall in areas you need most, preferably near Maximum Security cell blocks. However, if you have the funds, then by all means secure the whole prison.
- When you hover your mouse over the Perimeter Wall icon, it still reads a price of $200. [verification needed]