A prison is composed of:
- Every prison needs a Warden - he should be one of your first hires. Build him a nice office and he'll open up a whole range of advanced facilities via the bureaucracy system.
- Individual jail cells are expensive, especially early on when funds are very tight. Save money by starting with a large Holding Cell instead, which can be shared between many prisoners at once.
- Get your Kitchen and Canteen up and running before the first prisoners show up, and be sure to hire some Cooks - nothing irritates a prisoner more than an empty stomach!
- Place your Kitchen and Canteen in close proximity to one another to ensure ease of access for your cooks, just make sure the inmates don't have access to the Kitchen.
- Prison doors can be set with access rights - make sure your exterior doors are set to staff only.
- Also, you can mark areas as "staff only" in Deployment.
- Make sure that your prisoners don't have access to the outer edge of the map. Inmates will make a run for it if they have a chance.
- A good way to deal with this is to surround your prison with Fence.
If you enjoy this game as much as I do, check out TheSteamWorx (youtube channel) and SteamWorxRyan as they are new PC gamers and have started a series of Prison architect (the series is on SteamWorxRyan) Check out TheSteamWorx channel as all notifications will be sent to you via this channel until further notice.