A Prison is the location and environment where the entire game (Prison Architect) is set. You start (in Sandbox Mode at least) with a plot of land (size customisable upon creating a new Prison), a Deliveries zone, a Garbage area and 8 workmen.
A prison is comprised of:
- Every prison needs a Warden - he should be one of your first hires. Build him a nice office and he'll open up a whole range of advanced facilities via the bureaucracy system.
- Individual jail cells are expensive, especially early on when funds are very tight. Save money by starting with a large Holding Cell instead, which can be shared between many prisoners at once.
- Get your Kitchen and Canteen up and running before the first prisoners show up, and be sure to hire some Cooks - nothing irritates a prisoner more than an empty stomach!
- Place your Kitchen and Canteen in close proximity to one another to ensure ease of access for your cooks, just make sure the inmates don't have access to the Kitchen.
- Prison doors can be set with access rights - make sure your exterior doors are set to staff only.
- Also, you can mark areas as "staff only" in Deployment for wide-scale control..
- Make sure that your prisoners don't have access to the outer edge of the map. Inmates will make a run for it if they have a chance.
- A good way to deal with this is to surround your prison with Fence or any sort of walling.