Different sectors in the prison can be assigned to different security levels, to prevent certain or all prisoners from going there.
A Sector is every area of your prison which is fully enclosed by walls and doors but isn't a room. If you have multiple rooms that flow into each other without a door separating them, they will all be considered one sector.
Sectors allow the player to control the housing and flow of Prisoners in their prison by designating different areas for use by different types of prisoners. These designations are color-coded in the Deployment view.
If you assign a certain security level (Min., Med., Max, Protected, SuperMax, Death Row) to a Cell Block, only prisoners of that type will be housed there. Assigning security levels to other rooms (like canteens and workshops) limits which type of prisoner can use it.
All staff and visitors can enter all sectors. Additionally, prisoners escorted by guards (e.g. when they enter the prison) can pass through any area.
List of Sectors
|Min Sec Only||Blue||
Only minimum security prisoners are allowed to enter or work in this area.
|Med Sec Only||Orange||
Only medium security prisoners are allowed to enter or work in this area.
|Max Sec Only||Red||
Only maximum security prisoners are allowed to enter or work in this area.
Only Protective Custody prisoners are allowed to enter or work in this area. This designation is only made by the player for each prisoner.
|SuperMax Only||Dark red||
Only Super-Max prisoners (you can assign this class to prisoners from their Bio) are allowed to enter or work in this area.
|Death Row Only||Dark Grey||
Only death row prisoners can enter this area and live there.
Prisoners are not allowed to enter this sector and will attempt to path around it if possible. Staff prefers to pass through this zone if multiple paths are available.
All prisoners and staff are allowed to enter or work in this area, and all doors leading to this area will remain locked open unless a Lockdown is called from the Emergency menu.
|No Access||Yellow Striped||
Any area of your prison which is inaccessible will flash with yellow stripes filling the sector.
Any area of your prison that is not separated from the outside world by walls, lockable doors or fences will repeatedly flash yellow and revert back to the assigned zone color.
|Access Only||Purple Striped||A sector which is marked access only will be not be used as a shortcut to other rooms by staff and prisoners unless absolutely necessary.|
In order to be able to be assigned, a sector must be fully enclosed by walls or fences with doors leading to other areas. If an area of your prison is not fully enclosed or lacks a door, it will not count as a separate sector. It can also be used to prevent certain prisoners from doing certain jobs. If the corresponding room for the job has a security level only these prisoners are allowed to work here. For cell block designations, you will only be required to click once in the hallway connecting the cells to assign all cells to a security level.
Already assigned Sectors can change when walls, foundations or doors were built or demolished. So you better check the assignment and maybe reassign after that.
- Staff only areas will not be entered by prisoners even if the doors are wooden or locked open, so they are a good way to allow visitors access to areas of your prison. However, prisoners will attempt to escape if the sector leads to the outside.
- Staff-only rooms will also prevent prisoners from working there. If you want prisoners to work e.g. in the Kitchen, it cannot be a staff-only room, while if you don't want them to do, it probably should be. Also, staff-only rooms can't be cleaned by prisoners, janitors will have to do it.
- If you want to allow two types of prisoners into an area but exclude a third, create two small hallways outside the room and designate them with different security ratings, then set the room as Shared. As long as those two hallways are the only way into the room, no prisoner from the third designation will be able to reach that room.
- While Min., Med. and Max. security prisoners as well as Death Row inmates will arrive to your prison automatically if you allow them to, you will have to assign the risk categories Protective Custody and SuperMax manually if you want to use these sectors.
- Informants sent to protective custody lose their coverage quickly.
- During riot conditions, some of your most dangerous prisoners may attempt to attack the protective custody wing.